KiwiSaver HomeStart grant
If you're a first-time buyer and you've been making regular KiwiSaver contributions for at least 3 years, you may be able to apply for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant through Housing New Zealand.
How it works
If you buy an existing home, you can get $1000 for each year you’ve paid into the scheme. The most you can get is $5000 for 5 years.
If you buy a new home or land, you can get $2,000 for each year you've paid into the scheme. The most you can get is $10,000 for 5 years.
If you buy a property with other people who qualify for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant, you can all apply but the most you can get for one property is:
- $10,000 for an existing property
- $20,000 if you buy a new home or land for a new home.
Who can apply
To apply, you must:
- be 18 or older
- have been contributing at least the minimum amount of your income (currently 3%) to your KiwiSaver scheme for 3 years
- have had an income in the previous 12 months (before tax) of less than:
- $85,000 for 1 person
- $130,000 for 2 or more people
- have a deposit of at least 10% of the purchase price
- agree to live in your property for at least 6 months:
- from the date you buy your home (the settlement date), or
- if the house is new, when the code compliance certificate is issued.
- You can apply to withdraw your KiwiSaver savings to put towards buying your first home if you‘ve belonged to your KiwiSaver scheme for at least 3 years. You can withdraw your savings, but you must leave at least $1,000 in your KiwiSaver account.
- KiwiSaver first-home withdrawal
First Home Buyer Seminar
Why buy your first home when you could design and build? With a package that suits you, your budget and your comfort level, what’s stopping you?
At one of our First Home Buyer seminars, we can teach you everything you need to know about our streamlined design and build process and how to set up a successful build, as well as tips and tricks to make building your first home an enjoyable experience. We can cover everything from KiwiSaver and first home grants to how our team and project management software works, as well as locations and the best sections on offer, all for FREE!
If you’re interested in a free, educational seminar on design and build for First Home Buyers, then register below! Start the process of owning your first home with us.